Sunday, February 17, 2013

Summer in Provo

So before I had left for Spain this past summer, I interviewed at Geosys Design, a private geotechnical engineering firm.  The owner named Brian Garrett had been given to me as a contact form his brother in-law that had been my professor that semester prior.  So I had emailed Brian with my interest and a resume and cover letter.  A few weeks later Brian came and spoke at a seminar for all civil engineers at BYU and after his presentation, I approached him and introduced myself to him and he seemed very pleased to have met me in person and invited me to check in with him again before the summer came to see if he had any job openings.  I did so and ended up interviewing with him only two days before I left for Spain. I explained to him my study abroad opportunity and he said that he thought it was great and it worked out just fine because they weren’t going to start having a lot of work until June or July anyway.  So I corresponded with him in Spain a few times and it ended up that he offered me a job though I didn’t begin until a few weeks after coming home from Spain.  Those three weeks were some of the hardest ever! But I learned a great deal in the internship that helped me along in school and provided me with some fundage for the coming school year.



Right after getting back from Alaska in August, I went to Solvay Chemicals with my Uncle Lon to help him do maintenance on the fire extinguishers there.  I got to go down into the mine with his assistant Alex.  Pretty cool down there.  Driving through all of the tunnels in jeeps and seeing all of the big machinery.  We would drive from site to site with a guide to service all of the extinguishers.  Often times we would have one ready and grab that one that needed to be serviced and drive to the next site while I in the back took it apart and serviced it on the bumpy road there.  We wore hard hats with the miner lights on them and got some nice gloves from the facility to use.  At one point we serviced extinguishers on a machine they called the snake, a long conveyor/grinder combination.  And going along the bumpy road in the back of a jeep and bouncing around it seemed totally like the ride at Disney land called Indiana Jones!  It felt the same!  Just darker and quieter for the most part.

I was awarded a Pell Grant this school year!  What a tremendous blessing!  On top of that I was awarded my textbook scholarship again, as well as a half tuition scholarship from my department!  I am richly blessed by the Lord!  I need not worry much about funding for school this year due to these rich blessings!  Which was an even greater blessing than I knew at the beginning of the semester, because I ended up having to stop working because of how incredibly heavy my school work load was. 

As life progresses I continually gain new and life changing experiences!  I love to live and am extremely blessed here on this earth.


No comments:

Post a Comment